8 Market Place, Shepton Mallet
Built around 1680 by Edward Strode a local wealthy landowner, merchant and friend of the Duke of Monmouth. The property had the merchant's house in its southern aspect and two tenements in its north wing. In the far south east corner of the market place it was surrounded to the south with stabling.
When he died it was left to his daughters with a charitable provision attached to feed the poor of the town with bread financed from the building at ₤8 per annum.
In 1756 it would appear that the charity commissions took the ownership of the building through a legal challenge, we presume through non payment of the funds to charity. They then sold the building to the Dunkerton's after renting it to them for a period.